Wednesday, May 25, 2016

#takerisks

#takerisks

My last blog, I was exhausted and was worried that the end of the year would drag on. Would I have long days everyday for the remainder of the year? I did not want to end on a low note!

I was encouraged by a colleague to take a risk, do something new, don't give up. Now is the time to try new things. I thought about this last night and decided that I would not give up. I might have had a long day, but I wasn't defeated!

I came into my classroom this morning, determined to have a great day. I put the biggest smile on and walked into my classroom. Students were excited. It is Wednesday, the day that we work on 3 Act Math. My students love this program. Several students were predicting on what the activity would be about....Big Gulps, cars, cookies, chocolate.

We had a great start to a day. We reviewed graphing and I gave them the assignment in class. I wanted to try something new...Desmos, but wasn't sure what to expect. I was nervous! Would I be able to help students be successful? Would the Wi-fi work? Would the kids enjoy the activity?

I stopped the class and told them about an activity that I wanted to try. I needed their help. This would be the first time to do this program. I couldn't do the assignment without them. Several students had heard about the assignment. They knew that the Gate Math class had gone to the computer lab with a someone from the District. They were concerned, because our class was not the Gate class. Could they do it? There was a discussion..

. "We're not Gate! 

"You think we can do this?"

Me:"Yes, I know you can do this!"

"Is this something you learned at your Math camp?"

me:Yes...okay!

After a few minutes...

"You are right, we are just as smart as the Gate class."

Growth mindset...just because I was willing to try! At the end of class, I had to remind students that the bell had rung and they needed to go to their next period. 

It was nice to have the need "to kick students out of my class." It was nice to see students persevere. 

These are the days that I need to remember...not every day is going to be a great day, but each day I need to try to find something that was great! Glad I took a risk #takrisks
Image result for desmos

3 comments:

  1. Audra,
    This brought happy tears to my eyes. I am so happy that you have embraced risk taking and finding success for both you and your students! Way to finish out the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've shown such growth this year, so proud of you! Stacy

    ReplyDelete