Saturday, April 23, 2016

NCTM BLOG

This week was a blur. I ask myself what I know, what I learned, and what I want to change....I learned that I am a nerd that loves Diet Coke and chocolate. I am  a Wollowitz in a room full of Sheldons.

I moved to middle school this year. I moved from a school that was closed to only teaching math and science. That change alone is huge! Now add, changing your teaching style. Who has the time? Where do I begin?

I begin thinking about this year.  Do I remember the first day? What did I do. More importantly, how did I feel?  I remember being anxious and nervous. I was not a new teacher, but this was my first year transitioning from Elementary to Middle School. I felt out of my element! I chose to be a middle school teacher. Did I make a mistake? Could I find my way and find my rhythm?

While at the NCTM conference, I attended a Shadow con. This was the meeting with all of the "rock stars" of math. There was a call to action. What am I going to do? After attending this 90 minute meeting. I felt inspired. I knew that I was a toddler  among athletes. Math athletes, yes I said it. I felt small, but not defeated. 

This blog will be about my changes after going to the math conference.

The programs that I want to implement are: 3 Act Math, Which One Doesn't Belong, and "deleting the textbook." I will share my successes and my failures. Let the journey begin...stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. Audra, I am so happy that you are sharing your journey! Thank you for opening up and allowing us into your world. Enjoy the ride and enjoy the learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, this change is due to JC Baxter. He is very passionate about math. It is contagious. You can not be around him and not be excited! He challenges me to be better.

      Hillside Middle School has allowed me to be me...the nerd that I am! I am excited to be here!!!

      Delete
  2. Good luck on your journey! Moving away from your comfort zone in teaching and grade levels is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized that my students have a Depth of Knowledge of level 1 and struggle with level 2. Who am I kidding....I struggle with level 2!

      I am excited about this new journey, but nervous too!

      Delete