Friday, April 29, 2016

It is okay to make mistakes!

It is okay to make mistakes! I have to remind myself that this is true and acceptable! Perfection is desired, but not needed.Talking is acceptable!

This week, I stepped out of my comfort zone. I tried new things. I braced myself for the feeling of uneasiness. I started with the program Which One Doesn't Belong (I hear the song from Sesame Street playing when I do this activity). I asked them to choose the shape that doesn't belong and be ready to justify their answer. At first, it was silent! I must admit, I enjoyed the moment of silence. Then I had students pair up, the in a pod (group of 4). There was discussion and disagreements. I loved it. We then discussed as a group. I chose a leader to help with the discussion. I was allowed to observe and facilitate! I was in awe!!!

I also started with an activity from 3 Acts. The activity was about Girl Scout Cookies. I had students in pods. I had the groups choose a spokesperson. The discussions, the estimations, the different thinking that was going on was amazing. My room was not silent, but students were on task.

I must admit that there was still feeling of uneasiness, but a smile did appear after each activity! Guess what, I am okay. I wasn't perfect with demonstrating the programs, but this is okay!

Feeling successful and excited for week 2!

#3 Acts Math and #WODB

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I want to know more about the Girl Scout cookie activity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you leaned into the discomfort! When your students see you taking risks, they will be more apt to take risks of their own. Congrats for trying new things. Do you have some pics to share??

    ReplyDelete